Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Grandma Jane's Butterhorns {a recipe}


My Grandma Jane could cook.  One of my favorite things she used to cook was these delicious butterhorns.  We lost her last month, she's with our Savior now.  I will always love making these because they remind me of her.  
Hope you love them as much as I do. 

Grandma Jane's Butterhorns
  • 1/2 C. butter-flavored Crisco
  • 1 C. scolded milk
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 pkg yeast (dissolved in 1/4-1/2 C water)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 1/2 C. flour
Heat shortening, milk, sugar till melted.  Do not boil.  Cool till just warm to the touch, add yeast.  Add beaten eggs.  Add salt, then add one cup flour at a time.  Knead and work in a little more flour till dough is sticky not heavy.  Cover and let rise to the top of bowl, about hour and a half, sometimes longer, depends on humidity.

Flour counter and divide dough into three or four equal parts, roll out in circle. 
Butter circle and cut in eight or ten pie shaped pieces.  Roll these pieces from large to small end.  Place on cookie sheet, cover and let rise again about an hour. 
Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Spread tops with butter when warm out of the oven. 
A tip: 
-my mom used to always let these rise in a warm, steamy bathroom.  This year I tried putting them in a warm oven, seemed to work fine.  I turned my oven on to lowest setting, let heat up, then turned oven off and place covered dough in oven to rise.  I covered my dough bowl with a moist tea towel. 

PS. Is the term "let rise" or "let raise" correct...I'm no English major.  Either way I figure you know what I mean :)
PSS. You know there is a little green "Print Friendly" button at the bottom of this post under the LinkWithin links. Click on that and it takes you to this nifty page where easily print this recipe, even remove the pics if you want for cleaner printing. Just an FYI. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks just like a recipe that a dear old lady gave me about 45 years ago!! I have misplaced my copy of it, and I am so glad I found this one! They were out of this world!! Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails