Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Everyday Spaghetti Sauce {a recipe}

I haven't bought spaghetti sauce in I don't know how long.  We just make our own.  Like most great recipes, this one isn't my own, I got it from my mother-in-law.  It's in the woman's ministry cookbook I got for Christmas MANY years ago.  Two thousand and four, to be exact.  The page is splattered with sauce.  Page sixty-three is another page that I frequent, there you'll find her Chicken Taquitas recipe.  I'll share that recipe another day.  Today I'm sharing the spaghetti sauce.  

Everyday Spaghetti Sauce 
2 lb. Hamburger, browned & drained
2 (16 oz) cans tomatoes, diced
2 (16 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (12 oz) cans tomato paste
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. basil
1 C. sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
2 C. water

Simmer on low for 2 hours or longer. Yield: 1 gallon

I make a few changes to the recipe.  I leave out the meat and lower the sugar by half.  I lower the sugar just cause without the meat to cut that sweetness, it is way to sweet.  (And if you don't want it to be so chunky from diced tomatoes, swap those for crushed.)  Now I've got a GREAT spaghetti sauce to use as a starting place in lots of recipes.  Chicken parmesan, meatball subs, rigatoni, spaghetti and meatballs or Italian sausage and peppers (pictured above).  ETA: We divide this up in quart size bags and freeze.  We always have a stash in our freezer. 

And this sauce is kiddie approved. 
Is it me, or does having sauce all over his face make him all the more cute? 

Linking to:

1 comment:

  1. This is SO close to my spaghetti sauce recipe. I see you're also an Aldi shopper!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails